10 Renewable Case Studies from Chilean Mines
Providing insight and cross-technology detail including wind, solar PV, CSP, hydroelectric and biodiesel for both grid tied and remote mine operations, the Renewables and Mining Summit and Exhibition, Santiago, May 6-7, will feature 10 mine – renewable energy case studies.
The presentations will cover the project drivers, implementation issues, financial arrangements and operational details of case studies from Chile, Peru and Brazil. The diversity and detail of the projects will provide the mining and renewables communities with first-hand knowledge of project development, implementation and operation as well as insight in to future project opportunities and market development for renewables in the mining sector.
The mining case studies featured are as follows:
- Antofagasta Minerals will present the key criteria, drivers and operational details of the 115MW El Arrayan wind project and the 104MW Conejo solar project. What are the performance results and the next steps for these projects?
- Collahuasi, the fourth largest copper produce in Chile, will provide details on implementation and construction of the 25MW Pozo Almonte grid-tied solar plant including structuring the PPA. What are the lessons learned from this project and what is the energy strategy going forward?
- Global mining giant Vale will provide details on their biodiesel strategy. The aim is to use alternative fuels to power mines and locomotives but also to provide long-term jobs to the communities in which they operate. Vale’s Global Energy Director will outline the details of the strategy.
- Quiborax produces a range of Boron products from its northern Chile mine operations. They recently invested $7million to commission a grid-connected PV solar plant to provide 30% of the energy required for its Planta El Aguila operation. How has this investment reduced energy risk and cost issues?
- Pampa Camarones – a medium size copper mining company – will discuss details of the 6MW solar PV project developed to supplement its grid power supply. How does a smallish mining operation manage such an ambitious project? What are the essential elements of a PPA for this size of project?
- Peru-based Volcan has integrated hydroelectric power in to its mine operations. The projects have created energy security and new business opportunities for the mine and provided long-term economic and social opportunities for local communities. What agreements have been developed with the local communities?
- Mandalay Resources’ Cerro Bayo gold and silver mine in northern Chile is integrating wind energy as a means of reducing diesel dependency. This presentation will include operational insight and details of a unique PPA between the developer and the mine. How does the mine measure the value of this PPA? What is the business model of a 5 year PPA for the developer?
- SolarReserve will present details of a Chilean mining operation deploying large scale CSP Hybrid integrated with storage and PV. The presentation will provide insights on the economics, drivers and operational results. What are the wider opportunities for CSP for mines in Chile?
- Through investments in wind and hydro the El Toqui mine is aiming to source 45% of its energy from renewables. What are the key challenges of integrating wind and hydro in this remote mine site?
- After developing a 20MW wind farm in Punto Colorada, Barrick Gold is developing transmission access partnerships with a number or renewable developers. Is this a potential model to ease grid constraints for renewables in Chile?
To view details of the Summit visit – www.energyandmines.com/chile
To receive a summit brochure contact email@example.com